If you’re anything like me, you hate lugging around a heavy suitcase. You also don’t want to spend the money to check a bag. That’s why it’s important to know the size and weight restrictions for carry-on luggage. This way you can pack everything you need without having to worry about extra fees.
So, how does carry on luggage work?
There are usually two types of carry-on luggage: a small bag that can fit underneath your seat, and a larger bag that must be stored in the overhead bin. If you’re flying in economy class, you’re typically allowed one of each. However, if you’re flying in an upgraded class like business or first, you may be allowed an additional carry-on bag. When packing your carry-on luggage, be sure to check the airline’s restrictions on size and weight, as these can vary depending on the carrier.
Let’s dig into it and see what we can uncover.
- There are many benefits to carrying on your luggage, including saving on fees, having instant access to your belongings, avoiding lost luggage, and preventing damage to your belongings. Additionally, carrying your own luggage provides a full-body workout!
- You are allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item on a commercial airline. Check with your airline for size and weight restrictions of your carry-on bag. You may be asked to check your carry-on bag if the plane is small or full.
- Most airlines do not allow weapons or liquids over 100ml in carry-on luggage.
- You should not pack liquids, gels, pastes, guns, ammunition, self defense items, or gel-type candles in your carry-on luggage.
- The best carry on luggage bags are the ones that best suit your needs as a traveler. If you’re a business traveler, you’ll need a bag that is spacious and has plenty of compartments for storing all of your belongings. If you’re a leisure traveler, you’ll need a bag that is lightweight and easy to carry. You’ll also want to consider the material of the bag. For a more durable and long lasting option, choose a bag made from high quality materials. If you’re on a budget, there are still great options available that are made from high quality materials. Lastly, if you’re looking for a luxury option, there are carry on luggage bags made from high quality materials that are also very spacious.
How Does Carry On Baggage Work?
Carry-on bags are limited to 22x14x9 inches, including handles and wheels. Personal items are limited to 18x14x8 inches. There are no weight restrictions for carry-on luggage.
Can I Travel With Just A Carry-On Bag?
Yes, you can travel with just a carry-on bag. Most airlines will allow a carry-on that measures around 9 by 15.5 by 21.5 inches (including handle and wheels), so pick a bag that maximizes on that. Some people find it useful to have lots of separate compartments while others prefer one big open space.
What Is Not Allowed In A Carry-On Bag?
There are a few things that are not allowed in a carry-on bag, according to the TSA. Liquid or gel food items that are larger than 3.4 ounces are not allowed in carry-on bags, and should be placed in your checked bags if possible. TSA officers may also instruct travelers to separate items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine.
What Happens If Your Carry-On Is Too Big?
If your carry-on bag is too large to fit in the overhead bin, you will have to check it at the gate. There is a fee for this service, so it’s best to avoid if possible. Even if your bag is the right size, there’s always a chance it will need to be gate-checked due to limited storage in the overhead bin. This service is free of charge, but it means you’ll have to wait for your bag at the baggage claim after the flight.
What Is The Weight Limit On Carry-On Luggage?
The weight limit for carry-on luggage is 51 pounds. The size limit for carry-on luggage is 22 inches by 14 inches by 9 inches. The personal item limit is one purse, briefcase, laptop bag, or backpack. The weight limit for personal items is 25 pounds. The size limit for personal items is 45 linear inches.
What To Pack In Carry-On Bag For Flight?
The essentials you should always pack in your carry-on when flying are your passport or other form of identification, a face mask, cash, credit cards, and your itinerary. It’s also a good idea to bring a change of clothes and a reusable water bottle. If you’re bringing any electronics, remember to pack headphones and a charger.
What Is A Carry-On Bag Vs Personal Item?
A carry-on bag is a piece of hand luggage that you bring into the plane cabin with you and that must either fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead storage bin. A personal item is a smaller piece of hand luggage that you can carry on to the plane with you and that fits under the seat in front of you.
- What Is Considered A Carry-On Bag Spirit?: The Spirit Airlines carry-on baggage allowance is one small personal item; 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm). A fee applies to bring an additional, larger carry-on bag on board. Current bag prices are available here.
- What Is The Difference Between Carry-On And Checked Bags?: The primary difference between a carry-on bag and a checked bag is size. Checked bags are larger and must be stored in the cargo hold of a plane, while carry-on bags are smaller and can be stored in the overhead compartment or under the seat. Another difference between the two is that checked bags must go through security screenings before being loaded onto the plane, while carry-on bags do not.
So there you have it! The next time you’re packing for a flight, make sure to take advantage of your carry-on luggage allowance. And who knows, maybe you’ll even be able to sneak in a few extra items if you play your cards right.