We’ve all been there. You’re at the airport, about to check in for your flight, and you realize you don’t have a suitcase. Can you use a duffel bag as checked luggage? The answer is yes! While suitcases are a more popular choice for checked luggage, airlines don’t specifically require that your bag has to have wheels on them. That is why you can opt to use a backpack as checked luggage, or even a cardboard box or duffel bag.
So, can you use a duffel bag as checked luggage?
Yes, you can use a duffel bag as checked luggage. However, keep in mind that airlines have size and weight restrictions for checked luggage, so your duffel bag should meet those requirements. Additionally, duffel bags may not have as much padding and protection as a suitcase, so consider packing delicate items in a separate bag.
Let’s dig into it and see what’s inside.
- You can typically put up to 45 pounds in a duffel bag. If you need to pack more, you can check the bag instead.
- Most airlines limit checked luggage to 50 pounds or less and 62 inches in size (length + width + height). It’s always best to check with your airline before packing to find out their specific size and weight limits.
- The best duffel bags for travel vary depending on your needs, but some great options include the Kipling Bori Duffle Bag, the Yeti Crossroads 60L Duffel, and the Gonex Canvas Duffel.
- When packing a duffel bag for travel, start with the heavier items on the bottom. Rolled clothes and towels can go in the middle, and lighter items can go on top. Use packing cubes or bags to keep everything organized, and use a separate compartment for shoes. Toiletries should be placed in reusable containers and in a clear bag for security purposes.
- When using a duffel bag as checked luggage, make sure it meets size and weight requirements, pack it securely and label it with your contact information.
Can I Use A Duffle Bag As A Checked Bag?
You can use a duffle bag as a checked bag, as long as it is no larger than 62 linear inches. However, a duffle bag that size may be difficult to carry because of the weight. If you still want to use a duffle bag as checked luggage but don’t want to carry it, you can use a luggage cart.
Can I Bring A Duffel Bag On A Plane?
Yes, you can bring a duffel bag on a plane as long as it is within the airline’s size requirements for carry-on luggage. For most airlines, the maximum size for carry-on luggage is 22″ x 14″ x 9″ (including handles and wheels). So as long as your duffel bag falls within those dimensions, you should be able to bring it on the plane with you.
What Is The Standard Duffel Bag Size For Checked Luggage?
There is no standard duffel bag size for checked luggage, with each airline setting their own restrictions. However, most airlines have a maximum size of 62 linear inches and 40lbs for checked luggage. Smart bags that don’t have a removable battery cannot travel on any United® or American Airlines flights.
What Size Duffel Bag Can You Carry On An Airplane?
The average size for a carry-on duffle bag is 22x14x9 inches or 45L, but it is important to check with your specific airline as some may have different size requirements.
What Is The Best Duffel Bag For Checked Luggage?
The best duffel bag for checked luggage is the Kipling Bori Duffle Bag. It is made from high-quality materials, is large enough to hold everything you need for a trip, and has wheels for easy transport.
- Can You Check A Duffel Bag On Delta?: Yes, you can check a duffel bag on Delta, but you may have to pay an excess baggage fee depending on the size and number of bags you are checking.
- How Much Does A 62 Inch Duffel Bag Weigh?: The average 62-inch duffel bag weighs between 20 and 30 pounds when empty. However, the weight of a duffel bag can vary depending on the size and material. For example, a larger duffel bag made of heavier materials such as leather will weigh more than a smaller duffel bag made of lighter materials such as nylon. The weight of a duffel bag also depends on how much it is packed. A duffel bag that is packed full of heavy items will obviously weigh more than one that is packed with lighter items.
- What Is The Difference Between A Duffel Bag And A Suitcase?: Duffel bags are less secure than hardshell luggage and can be more difficult to carry when packed, but they are typically more affordable and can be more easily stored. When deciding between a duffel bag and a suitcase, consider the type of travel you will be doing.
- Can I Check A Duffel Bag On United?: You can check a duffel bag on United, as long as it meets size requirements. Bags exceeding the checked baggage allowance will not be accepted.
So there you have it, everything you need to know about using a duffel bag as checked luggage. Now all that’s left to do is pack your bags and enjoy your trip!